About Me

My photo
East Orange, New Jersey, United States

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Week 1 The Art Of Possibility 1-3


I must confess, at first I was really reluctant to read the book. I was stuck in a dilemma of whether to skim or read. I am so glad I decided to read; The Art of Possibility, really is an art. As I was reading this book I was confused, amused and enlighten all at once.
“Most people already understand that, as with cultural differences, Interpretations of the world vary from individual to individual and from group to group. This understanding may persuade us that by factoring out our won interpretations of reality, we can reach a solid truth. However, the term it’s all invented points to a more fundamental notion – that it is through the evolved structure of the brain that we perceive the world. And the mind constructs. The meanings our minds construct may be widely shared and sustaining for us, but they may have little to do with the world itself. Further more, how would we know?” (Zander & Zander, p.12, 2000)
So many different ideas and questions popped into my head while reading this but they were all answered when I stopped trying to define it. It all started to make sense with quotes like the one above. Many time people stop follow the path already taken instead of creating a new one. What I got from this book’s first few chapters was that everything has already been invented but not defined. The definition lie with you and what you perceive it to be.

A simple way to practice it’s all invented is to ask yourself this question:
What assumption am I making,
That I’m not aware I’m making,
That gives me what I see?
And when you have an answer to that question, ask yourself this one:
What might I now invent,
That I haven’t yet invented,
That would give me other choices? (Zander & Zander, p.15, 2000)

I truly love this exercise. I tried it and had difficulty at first but that was because I already had assumed parameter and limit to my perceptions.

As I continued to read I came across what felt like déjà-vu, my 8th grade teacher did an exercise similar to the practice of A exercise. He asked us to write down the grade we wanted in the class. Then told us that we will absolutely get it. At the end of the cycle he asked us to write down the grade we felt we had earned. It was difficult at first to grasp but I now understand that he wanted us to set our own measuring stick and judge ourselves rather than society doing it for us.

I would like to end my discussion with this following quote, which should truly be the mission statement for every school and educator, “Michelangelo is often quoted as having said that inside every block of stone or marble dwells a beautiful statue; one need only remove the excess material to reveal the work of art within. If we were to apply this visionary concept to education… All the energy would be focused on chipping away at the stone, getting rid of whatever is in the way of each child’s developing skills, mastery, and self-expression.” (Zander & Zander, p.26, 2000)

Reference

Zander, R.S., & Zander, B. (2000). The art of possibility. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press.



Natalie Howard’s Blog:

The first three chapters of the Art of Possibility paint a picture of life in an optimistic perspective. It projects hope, opportunity, transformation and change (if I were to use a few descriptive words). The objective of the work is summed up for us under Launching the Journey where "the objective of the book is to provide the reader the means to lift off from that world of struggle and sail into a vast universe of possibility" (pg.1 par. 1). It's like looking at life "outside the box." I like how the writer makes the firm distinction that the book is not about "turning a new leaf" or self-improvement, but that the practices presented in the book are geared at viewing life from an altogether different perspective--one that causes "a total shift of posture, perceptions, beliefs, and thought processes. They are about transforming your entire world.!" (pg. 4) I believe that the author paves the way for all of us to be transformers depending upon the way we not only view the world, but also upon the way we view ourselves.

In chapter 1, I was inspired by how the Zander's defined what the term (catchphrase) "It's all invented" is about; how it points to a more fundamental notion that our minds "construct". (pg. 12) We have preconceived ideas (assumptions) about life, how we view the world, other people (as individuals and in groups), and ourselves based upon the box that we live in mentally. "It is through the evolved structures of the brain that we perceive the world." (pg. 12) The 9-dot puzzle was puzzling for me at first, but became quite clear about how the box represents a universal phenomenon of the human mind... we as human beings have the natural propensity to think inside of a box, one which limits us in so many ways. When we begin to think outside of the box, or as the author says "its all a story we tell", we can break through the barriers of any "box" that boxes us in (confines us) to the mundaneness of life...

In chapter 2, we are brought face to face with the questions "What are these borders?" and "What is this everyday reality?" (pg. 17). The authors imply that life is full of possibilities once we're thinking outside the box, while on the other hand, our everyday world "the world of measurement", is the world that limits us to assessments, scales, standards, grades, and comparisons. I saw myself rather vividly in this chapter as the world of measurement was further described as "A universe of possibility" where everyday we strive for success. Yet on the pathway there are obstacles which vary from scarcities of time, power, money, love, resources, and inner strength... Life is about survival and people are trying to survive in many different ways. For example, scarcity thinking assumes that life is a struggle and in the struggle we survive by getting ahead because the world is full of limited resources... (they're trying to get all they can, and can all they get!) because eventually there will be none left. I see this mentality as a selfish and greedy means of survival. Then there's survival thinking: looking out for Numero uno (me, myself, and I and nobody else). That's even worse than the first. In the measurement world: you set a goal and strive for it; but in the Universe of possibility, you set the context and let life unfold.

In chapter 3, Giving an A is an invention that creates possibility. In order to become a better YOU, you have to be considerate of others and approach people in such a way that it transforms you and them. It's seeing the best in someone before it ever manifests. The box thinking makes perceptions (judgment) about people from the beginning, but giving an A sees a positive outcome in all people from the beginning. Many lives can be changed just as the many student-musicians lives were. If we practice the practice of giving an A, we follow the new mental perspective of recognizing a universal desire in people to contribute to others regardless of any barriers. We learn to say "How fascinating" with uplifted hands when we make mistakes rather than overly criticize and become too competitive. Giving an A unleashes unlimited possibilities for students (or anyone) in contrast to giving grades which keeps students (and all people) in the box...

Comment on Natalie Howard:

I agree with you on the point about how the author, “paves the way for all of us to be transformers depending upon the way we not only view the world, but also upon the way we view ourselves.” Its amazing how our own opinion of ourselves dictates what we do and how we do it.
For example people that have perceived as attractive all their lives are usually more assertive and confident than those that have been perceived as unattractive. But perception is up to the individual and life’s only limits are the one you set for yourself

Thourn Heng’s Blog:
My thoughts and actions are a reflection of the measurement world because I grew up very competitive. For example, what is the grade that every student wants to earn because it is the highest grade? Of course you already know the answer. We grow in a world where intelligence is measured by numbers (percentage) and richness is measured by accumulation of “stuff.” (I am referring to stuff as property, money, cars, etc.) It is very hard to step out of the competitive educational expectation, because it is “all invented” for us to be aggressive and competitive by nature.

Here is where it hurts me most because I have realized that I measure my expectations for my martial art students based on their ability to execute perfect techniques. I have been struggling to stop this way of thinking for many years, but it is hard to stop. I keep thinking that if I can do it, then my students should be able to do it too. So, in that sense, I am measuring my students to myself.

I coach martial arts for two different aspects: “martial” combative side and “art” the artistic side. Most people see martial arts for the combative side because of the increased popularity of mixed martial arts, UFC, IFC, etc. But, what most people do not see martial arts for is its beautiful artistic side. I coach my students the “art” before I coach them the “martial.”

Martial art, in my opinion, is movement with intent. But, what my students fail to see is why I show them certain movements. Here is where my thoughts are reflections of the measurement world, I judge my student’s ability based on how much intent they have based on their body movement compared to mine. I can see the intent behind their movements based on their position, precision, and power. I know I am better than my students, but what I compare them to is my younger self. That is where I am too competitive and need to stop measuring my students based on my achievements. I need to think more about the possibilities to teach when my students when they make mistakes rather than compare them to me.

Comment on Thourn Heng’s Blog:
It’s in our nature to use ourselves as a standard, its not until we come across someone or something that we perceive to be more skilled or more knowledgeable that we even start to consider a different measuring stick.
For example the first time you threw a baseball, you probably said to yourself WOW, that was fast. Until you joined a little league team a noticed that there were other kids that can throw the ball harder and faster than you.
The fact that you set yourself as the standard could either mean that you are really good or really bad. Knowing you, coach, I am going to assume that you are really good. But just think if beauty id defined by perception then the art or martial arts is viewed differently by different people and the true skill has been all invented.

1 comment:

  1. I completely understand your reluctance to reading the book. Surprisingly, I was impressed with the reading as well. It's funny how we put limits on ourselves without realizing that we have.

    ReplyDelete