About Me

My photo
East Orange, New Jersey, United States

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Wk2 Project Udutu Setup

1. Azcona, Pedro

2. Picture Worth a Thousand Words.

3. I will deploy this lesson using iWeb and the final product will be published through Udutu.

4. New project, created for my daily professional practice.

5. Initial appraisal: The idea for the lesson came to me when I saw how much difficulty my students were having with picture prompts in the New Jersey Assessment of Skill and Knowledge, (NJASK). They have to look at a picture and write an essay based on what they see. The lesson I made is called, A Picture is Worth a 1000 Words, Can a 100 Words be Worth a Thousand Pictures? It all has to do with helping students understand that there is no right or wrong answer to a picture prompt as long as what they write is logical. I will alter my past lesson to include interactive media through Udutu to help students succeed in this task. Such as an online drawing pad, link below.

http://www.picturedraw.co.uk/Online%20drawing%20pad.htm

6. The following is a lesson plan is for the proposed lesson.
Grade Level: 6-8
Subject: Language Arts

Objectives and Goals:

• SWBAT produce a picture based on a short paragraph from, Edgar Allan Poe’s, Tell Tale Heart.
• SWBAT write an essay based on a picture prompt.

Anticipatory Set:

• When the students first walk in the room supply them with a blank sheet of paper.
• Tell them to read the following paragraph, and to draw a picture based on what they read. About 10 minutes.
• Exert from Edgar Allan Poe’s, Tell Tale Heart: “Many a night, just at midnight, when all the world slept, it has welled up from my own bosom, deepening, with its dreadful echo, the terrors that distracted me. I say I knew it well. I knew what the old man felt, and pitied him, although I chuckled at heart. I knew that he had been lying awake ever since the first slight noise, when he had turned in the bed. His fears had been ever since growing upon him. He had been trying to fancy them causeless, but could not. He had been saying to himself --"It is nothing but the wind in the chimney --it is only a mouse crossing the floor," or "It is merely a cricket which has made a single chirp."

Direct Instruction:

• Collect all the pictures and show the class how unique and interesting each picture is. Also point out how so many different pictures were produces from reading the same paragraph.
• Explain how a picture prompt relates to this. Explain how there is no right or wrong answer as long as what they write is relevant to the picture.
• Explain the three elements of an essay; Introduction, body and conclusion.

Guided Practice:

• Post a large picture on the board and have student write an introduction based on what they see.
• Have students write a body that supports their introduction, with specific examples from the picture.
• Have students write a conclusion that reemphasizes the introduction, predicts an outcome or offers a solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment