About Me

My photo
East Orange, New Jersey, United States

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Week 1 Project:LMO Overview


Why fight it? There are so many people that are against the necessary change that will come with LMS and CMS. These changes are not just going to happen the must happen in order for progress to continue. The overwhelming demand for social networks and PLE’s will continue to grow. In order for education and progress to continue being the paramount force that drives this information locomotive it must regulate what many think to be a disruptive and an overall distraction in the classroom.
My Action Research is based on the affects of handheld devices in the classroom. Many of my colleges may not agree with my teaching methods but no matter how unorthodox they may be, I have found success in them. I allow Cell phone use in the class and actually incorporated an email program produced by the district into my daily routine. Now this email program initially started as just email but it’s so much more. The name of it is Teenbiz3000. It sends students a daily email with an article attached and allows me to monitor and change the reading levels of these articles according to their pretest reading score. As time progresses and I either see progress or not I can adjust the vocabulary and language accordingly. I’ve just come to realize that this is a Learning Management System. With the use of cell phones and or iPod touches that I allow my students to use in the class, I can send these articles directly to each student and monitor their advances.
Unfortunately many of my colleges do not take advantage of this LMS, they rather use the Internet as a reward instead as a teaching tool. The problem with that is that many children just surf the Internet doing frivolous things that don’t engage, track or develop their students’ understanding and proper use of the Internet. I started this blog posting the question, why fight it? The change is good and will happen, either embrace it or retire.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting comments about the need to allow for the change that LMS might represent. Unfortunately there's nothing in this nicely done essay that expresses that you viewed Dr. Gibson's Overview video or communicates the differences between the four types of online learning systems mentioned in the video. You are more than welcomed to complete the assignment in the comments of this blog entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (CMS) Course Management Systems is the conventional e-learning platform for a school, which help with registration, to grading and assists you in managing your fate through the courses that you take. I like to refer to it as a Class Management System.
    (LMS) Learning Management System focuses in the individual needs of learners. Such systems included Google-docs and facebook. It understand individual learners and their individual needs.

    ReplyDelete